Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Calle Ocho...The World's Biggest Block Party

Once a year in March, Miami is home to the biggest block party in the world...Calle Ocho!  This festival has it all: food, fun, dancing, music, and live entertainment.  SW 8th Street, a section in Miami has many blocks that are closed off for this event.  People of all different cultures and nationalities join in the fun. 

 

When I went a couple of years ago, I remember the smell of grilled and fried meats; the sweet smell of pipes and the strong, almost pungent scent of cigars. Since it was March, the day started with a nice comfortable breeze and ended up getting quite warm.  It was loud and there was music and people everywhere.  I was lucky enough to have a backstage pass, (a bracelet in this case), and I got to see artists behind-the-scenes.  I got a chance to take a pic with reggae artist Sean Paul.  I had a blast!
It was great to see so many different cultures in one place, celebrating and enjoying themselves.  I had fun and it was a new experience for me.  The event well went into the evening and the energy was still as charged as it was earlier in the day.  This is something to see and if you haven't been, you should go.  It's worth seeing and experiencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment